Materials – 100% cotton fabric and 100% cotton thread
Pieced: May 2011 – December 2012
Quilt finished: 55″ x 55″
I joined my local quilt shop’s block of the month in May, 2011 to learn new techniques and to meet more quilters in my community. I finished the top within a reasonable time frame and am now sold on Block of the Month programs. It’s on the docket to be quilted once my current projects are culled down a little bit.
Update as of 8/3/14
I pulled this out of the stash in May, 2014 to get it in queue for quilting. I basted it and then packed it up again in preparation of moving. Even though we’re still not totally unpacked (will we ever be?) I am getting bored with my current schedule of merely catching up on my BOMs. So, I pulled it out and it is now sitting on my table ready for me to start quilting it.
I plan to quilt it with Black Aurifil 50/2 #2692.
Update as of 1/25/15
I used different colors in the quilting. The in the flowers and baskets and black center blocks I used Black Aurifil 50/2 #2692. I quilted in the ditch on the black border, sashes, and in the flowers and basket blocks. For the black center blocks, I did a big loop d’ loop because I didn’t want to make it stiff by overquilting.
In the gold triangles, I used Aurifil 50/2 #2140 and did spirals.
In the purple border, I used Aurifil 50/2 #1243 and followed the pattern on the fabric. Some times they turned out like a fluer de lis and in other cases looked like waves. I think they turned out pretty good.
I used this quilt as a way to practice my FMQ.
I am gifting this to my mom as she expressed interest in it when she saw it while my family stayed with her in 2013/2014.