Raining Cats & Dogs made from Ann Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs pattern
Started: Nov, 2011
Finished top: 4/10/2016
Quilting: Domestic sewing machine (Bernina 330). Aurifil 50w #2310 on the top and bobbin. Planning on hand quilting within each block.
Background: I started this project in November, 2011 as a BOM with my LA Quilt Shop, Quilt Emporium. Up until this project I didn’t have much experience with Applique. I decided to take this class to learn how to applique and to practice my technique. The class and the blocks were harder than I originally thought they would be but my applique has definitely improved during this process. I know it was a BOM and I should be done by now but in the beginning I was very slow. I tried the freezer paper technique with starch. I tried freezer paper with basting. And I tried using a little glue because some of the pieces were so small it seemed that it was best to just use applique glue and to hold it down while I sewed it. I enjoyed simply using the lightbox, tracing the pattern on the fabric and pinning it and appliqueing it without the starch or basting or glue. The starch and glue made the fabric hard to applique in some parts. Basting just seemed to add more steps to the process without giving me much benefit. I just have to remind myself that I do not need to finish this quickly and to relish in the process of learning rather than rush the project. I’ve finished about 4 or 5 blocks so far. I only have pictures of these two because the others are packed up somewhere.
Update as of 8/24/13
I’m on Block 4 of this BOM. That’s what it says on the block but my LQS didn’t work on the blocks in order. I’ve still got about 1/3rd left to do- 1 umbrellas, a flower, stem and leaves (and embroidery). My goal for August is to finish the block but I’m not sure if I can… well I’ll keep working on it a little bit each day and we’ll see how far I can get.
Block 4 – Finished on 8/31/2013 – just in time for my August Get It Done Report!
Update as of 10/12/2013
Block 9 is DONE!
Update as of 11/11/13
Block 6 is done!
Started working on Block 2 11/17/13. The plan for November is to just get going on this project. I’m taking it slow as things are hectic right now.
Update as of May 28, 2014
Block 2 is done and has been since April. I only have 1 last block to do and I can start with the next steps.
… UPDATE AS OF 1/24/2016
The final block is finally completed!
Now it’s time to get all the blocks together. Here they are all laid out.
As of 2/28/2016 – all the blocks have been pieced together. Something I should have done before I pieced them together was trim down the blocks. Some of them I did when I finished them and some of them weren’t. So, in piecing them together, I was having a bit of trouble.
Update as of 3/18/2016 – border #1 is attached
I stabilized the quilt by machine quilting around each block and the borders. I had basted it on the frame but I ended up with a couple of tucks in the batting so I took it out and redid it with pins. What a mess! I must have not put it on the frame well. I decided the hand quilt the outline around each thing first and then I’ll decide what to quilt next. There’s a lot to outline so I have time to figure my next step out.