The top is done for Scrapitude! I made it to my LQS on Friday and picked out the fabric for the borders. Worked on it all day yesterday. It took forever since I was alternating between work stuff, eating, and socializing with the family. ;0 But it is done. Next step for scrapitude is getting the backing together. I was supposed to get the backing when I went to the shop but I forgot. I got 3 yards for the borders. I know that’s a lot and I have a lot extra but here’s what I did…
I mitered the borders. I think it looks wonderful. Of course when you look carefully not all four corners connect properly but I think they’re small enough to quilt out. I’ve only mitered once or twice before so I like how it turned out. In addition, I didn’t cut the border strips from selvage to selvage (which would have saved on the amount of yardage I added this week). Instead I cut parallel to the selvage edge. It saved me on piecing time. I bought yards of the fabrics so that way I don’t have to piece a bunch of little strips. I bought 2 yards of the darker blue and 1 yard of the cream inner border. So for the darker blue batik I didn’t even have to piece anything. I just cut 4 strips for the inner border and 4 strips for the outer border. For the cream border I only pieced 2 strips together for each of the four sides. By doing it this way, the borders are not as stretchy as it is when I use strips from selvage to selvage. This is the first time I’ve done it this way and so far, I like how the top feels. The borders feel more secure and fixed and I hope when I quilt it, they don’t stretch as much and not cut away from the border when I trim after I quilt. We’ll see how it turns out. 🙂
I can’t show a picture of the full thing yet because the top no longer fits on my design wall and the children are still sleeping! I can’t ask/trick/ bribe them into holding it up for a picture but I plan to do it later today so I can post a picture then.
Today’s plan is to work on the backing for Tell It To The Stars.
Here’s the back to remind you what it looks like. Thank you to everyone who commented. I really like how it is turning out. I have decided to go with the gray and today’s agenda is to measure, cut and sew them on. If I have time (and energy), I will work on putting the sashes and rows for Hampton Ridge.
Used this week: 4.25 yards
Used year to Date: -40.50 yards
Added this week: 3 yards
Added Year to Date: 56.08 yards
Net Added for 2015: 15.58 yards
~Have a quilty week!