Here’s my learning lesson this weekend – look at next week’s project when I’m done with this week’s project. That way I can gather my materials before the day I actually want to work on the project. Again, I needed 2.5 yards of fabric for the pyjamas and again I didn’t want to dive into my stash to find 2.5 yards of something. This time, I actually trekked it to my LQS. I considered going to the big box store since I didn’t want to spend the money on quality quilty cotton but I decided to spend the money. I love my LQS and while I don’t have a lot of money, I was feeling generous and have a bit more burning a hole in my pocket. I look at it as donating the funds to keep my LQS open. Obviously, I can’t do this all the time. But when I can I will.
I wash my fabric before I use it. I’m not going to into whether I should or not. I know a lot of people don’t and it probably doesn’t matter one way or another. But I choose to wash my fabric so before I can use it I have to put it through the wash. So I spent my sew day this weekend looking for fabric at my LQS, washing and prepping it. On Sunday, I was able to get some things prepped but I didn’t actually get to any sewing –
Of course, I forgot to take pictures until the very end when I packed everything up for my next sew day. Which I hope will be this upcoming weekend!
I fell in love with this owl as soon as I saw him peeking at me at my LQS. The pattern called for 2.5 yards but I wanted to make sure I was able to fussy cut the owls and foxes perfectly so I purchased a bit over 3 yards. Here’s where I diverged from the instructions detailed in LAFS (Love at First Stitch). The pattern wanted me to cut on the grain which would have been had the length of the pajama leg parallel to the selvage. If I followed this, my owls would be sideways on my legs. Not the image I wanted. So I cut it from selvage to selvage. Since I’m short – just about 5′ – this was fine.
I had big post it poster paper that I used to trace over the pattern. This time around I cut with scissors on the line and the fabric. There were three options listed in the book. The second option was to use the pattern to trace on the fabric and the third option was to use tailor’s chalk or something on the fabric and then cut with that. I think I’ll choose the third option next time.
Here are the front of the legs. I have the back cut too.
I’ve got a bunch of bits to add to my stash and use in quilts and other projects.
Very important – I labeled the front legs and the back legs before I put them away. If I didn’t do that I would totally forget which was which and I would spend time trying to figure it out.
~ Happy sewing!